Sunday, March 15, 2015

2015 Q1 book challenge -- the results

I absolutely loved participating in this book challenge! It's just what I needed to start reading again... man have I missed it. (You can read my original post here.)

Some (most? all?) of the books changed from my beginning post-- nobody puts baby in a corner. Here's how I did:

5 points: Read a book, any book that is at least 200 pages long. - Of Scars and Stardust by Andrea Hannah. 336 pages. This book was on Lindsay's to-read list, and I got intrigued. This book is FUCKED. UP. I didn't fully appreciate just how fucked up it is until the end, although I suppose that's the hallmark of a good book-- you can't see the end coming from a mile away. I would recommend, although it's not a book I can imagine myself reading again. 4 stars

10 points: Read a book that begins with the “A”, “An”, or “The”. - The First True Lie by Marina Mander. This book was sad. So sad. Like, I may have had to stop reading it a few times and then come back to it sad. It was a good book though. It was a little hard to follow because it's told by the young boy (and let's be real, young boys are not known for their linear thought processes), but it all comes together. Not my favorite, but good... except for the ending. The ending was terrible. 3 stars.

10 points: Read a book with a two word title. - On Immunity by Eula Biss. This was a good book. The chapters were kind of strange... seemed like a bunch of vignettes whose connections were only evident about midway through each chapter. It was really good though. 4 stars.

15 points: Read a book with an animal in the title. - What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell. Yeah, I had every intention of reading Eating Animals, but I don't think I can stomach it right now. This book actually had far more references to food than I was anticipating, but I managed to power through :) It was a lot of nerdy fun. 4 stars.

20 points: Take the first letter of your first name…Read a book that the title begins with that letter. - Man Alive by Thomas Page McBee. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I can tell you that this wasn't it. The story is about a transgender man and his decision to transition and its effects on those around him, which is all well and good, it's just... I don't know. I can't really put my finger on it. I think maybe it was just too short (not even 200 pages!) and so it didn't feel fleshed out enough? There's also sort of a sub-plot (I won't give it away), and so then it REALLY didn't feel fleshed out. I don't know. 2 stars.

20 points: Read a book set in any country in Europe. - The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. I freaking loved this book. It was hilarious. If I could recommend only one of the books on this list, this one would be it. 5 stars.

25 points: Read a book from the NPR’s guide of great books from 2014. - Everything I never Told You by Celeste Ng. This book was equal parts relatable and haunting. I think everyone has pieces of themselves that they've put on the back burner for the sake of some greater good, and the characters in this story take that to disastrous ends. 4 stars.

30 points: Read a book by a favourite author that is not a re-read. - All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner. Oh I love Jennifer Weiner, and this book did not disappoint. As heavy as chick lit gets (mom becomes addicted to painkillers and ends up in rehab), it was still an easy read. I finished it in a day. 4.5 stars.

30 points: Read a book by a comedian or comedic actor. - Bossypants by Tina Fey. Love me some Tina Fey. A light afternoon read; laughed out loud at multiple points. I was glad I didn't buy it though. 3 stars.

35 points: Read a book about science, discovery, or a scientific process – non-fiction only. - What If? by Randall Munroe. I think this book counts as non-fiction? It's such a fun read for a science nerd like me. Read the whole thing in an afternoon. 4 stars.

Linking up with Steph and Jana for their Show Us Your Books monthly linkup!

3 comments:

  1. yay for reading!! the 100 year old man, all fall down and everything i never told you are all on my list :) that sad book sounds interesting, i love a good sad book, but i hate crappy endings, so no thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure I added 85% of your lists to my to-read list. I'm never going to run out of reading material!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have everything i never told you on hold at the library! glad that it's a good book!

    ReplyDelete