Monday, January 5, 2015

a clarification

Because I've been asked by some, I'm going to provide a bit more clarity on what I mean when I say that C and I are adopting a vegan diet. Because anyone who knows us knows that no one eats more meat and cheese than we do.

I was talking to Kristen about it, and I think the term I'm going with is "veganish," although I think the proper term is flexitarian. It's important to remember that I'm doing this for health reasons-- I don't have ethical issues with eating animal products (as long as I don't think too hard about factory farming). I love things like true macaroni and cheese (even better when you put a little half-and-half in it) and chicken fajitas with queso. I also love a good cheeseburger every once in awhile. The goal here really is to switch the proportions-- eat just a LITTLE bit of meat and cheese and lots of veggies and legumes, instead of LOTS of meat and cheese and just a little bit of veggies (if any at all).

I'm thinking our target diet will/should look something like this:

Last night I made a really delicious (vegan) tomato bisque, and tonight I'm going to stop by Jimmy John's on my way home from acupuncture. I have stuff to cook entirely vegan dinners for the rest of the week, and then we're going to go out for Mexican food on Friday. We may eventually get to the point where meat and cheese no longer taste good to us, but I think that quitting meat and cheese cold turkey (no pun intended) is a good way to set us up for failure.

Have any of you tried to do something like this? I appreciate any and all feedback/tips/advice!!

4 comments:

  1. I can't quit cheese! I've never been a meat eater. Literally never had steak or shrimp in my life. But I do know that my mom quit meat cold turkey and her hair started to fail out, so slow and steady is the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too! I definitely agree about quitting cold turkey (and what Stephanie said is terrifying) and I think my diet will look much like your pretty diagram but switch the vegan for more vegetarian haha.
    KC and I talk about this all the time. It's not that vegans or vegetarians live longer *because* they don't eat meat, it's because they eat tons of good healthy plant based stuff. which the meat eaters miss out on because they at too much meat. make sense? i saw your email about the soup and I am totally going to try it when I get a second to look at the email.
    and jimmy johns is my kryptonite. seriously i love those sandwiches SO much. sobbing. stupid gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and what I mean by that ^^ is not that meat is good, but they should eat more plant based foods. the meat is still gonna do its dirty work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. vegan is hardcore! i cut grains out of my life recently and i feel great. it's a bit of a struggle to get used to not eating grains because they're *everywhere* but i've been eating sweet potatoes, chia seeds and squash like it's going out of style!

    ReplyDelete