Thursday, July 18, 2013

restraint

Anyone who knows me in real life knows that patience is not my strong suit. I blame part of it on the fact that I'm an uber-planner. Once I get an idea in my head, I don't let it go. It takes over all my thoughts until I either get what I want or plan it to within an inch of its life. I'm not entirely unlike Veruca Salt...


The last couple days I've been foiled at every turn when trying to just DO things that I want to. (How rude!) I got on to Sallie Mae's website yesterday to schedule my final payment. (WAHOO!) I used their calculator to see how much my payoff amount would be for August 2, and tried to schedule an advance payment for that amount. I got an error message saying that my payment couldn't be greater than the 4-day payoff amount, which didn't make any damn sense to me. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to wait until the actual time. Lets the anticipation build for a couple more weeks.

Also, thanks to yesterday's post about knitting, I REALLY want to buy the stuff to make that cardigan. I mean look at it. It's gorgeous!


All I want to do is buy the yarn and the needles and start on it. There are many reasons this is a terrible idea though. One: seriously, the last thing I need is another knitting project. Two: the yarn would be somewhere between $70-$100 (I'd have to measure to see what size). This girl ain't got NO money. Third: ZOMG can you believe how long it would take to make that thing?! Nope. I need to just close the window and forget about it.

Having this payoff goal forces me to reprioritize a lot of things. C has this awesome thing where if he wants to buy something (usually something relatively expensive), he'll think about it for awhile. Then if he decides not to buy it, he'll take that money and put it toward the mortgage. That is so awesome. I don't have the discipline to do something like that. The only way that I pay what I pay is to tell myself that THIS IS THE PAYMENT and I set up autopay. I also have that money direct deposited into an entirely different bank account. Forced austerity, that's my motto. So I tell myself (and others) that I'm broke quite often. I suppose it's not technically true, but it at least slows down my cycle of instant gratification.

Most of the time, anyway... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment