Monday, October 21, 2013

healthy break

So since I've started this whole 52 lbs thing, my friend Ashlye and I have been reasonably dedicated to taking what we call "healthy breaks" at work, every hour on the hour. We just get up and walk down the hallway, no big deal, but it's good for our mental health. (Humans just are not made to work 8+ hours a day sitting at a desk.)

Today I came across this blog post from a knitting company in the UK. This is my favorite part:
Firstly, knitting concentrates your mind in a single activity with simple repetitions. When we do this, we relax and forget daily worries. In fact, knitting is also known as “mental yoga”. It’s recommended to reduce stress.
When you knit, you have to control various factors. You have to calculate the necessary thread meters, rounds and stitches number… This means you have to apply basic maths. This stimulates the logical part of our brains. So, you keep it young thanks to this mental gym.
Knitting is a process that needs patience, perseverance and self-discipline. So, you can develop these appreciated qualities.
Bizarre sentence structure aside, I totally know where they're coming from. I definitely do enjoy that knitting provides me somewhat of a "healthy break" from life. I also enjoy the finished objects that come out-- looking at something and saying "I made that" just puts a smile on my face. :)

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of... it is time for a healthy break, my knitting friend!

    ReplyDelete