Monday, January 20, 2014

01.20.14 -- progress report

Another week has passed; another week of not much running. I couldn't do any running/sweating until Friday afternoon after my follow-up appointment. I meant to run on Friday afternoon, but was lazy. :)


Saturday I decided to do some speed work. Of course, my definition of speed work is much different than most people's, but I'm only trying to beat myself here! Did 2 miles: first mile at 5.0 run/3.3 walk and second mile at 5.5 run/3.3 walk. My typical speed ratio was 5.0 run/3.0 walk. The speed work was rough, but not the most horrible thing I've ever done.

Sunday I decided I was going to run a 10k. On the treadmill. Ick. I ran through an episode of Friends and the entire first half of the AFC Championship Game. Holeeee crap. It was hard, and about halfway through my IT Bands started hurting. And then I started chafing around where my armband is. I was REALLY cranky at that point and cursing no-spend January, because all I wanted was the damn Bodyglide and foam roller that were in my Amazon shopping cart! ARRGH!

I made it all the way through the 10k though. C was sitting on the couch, watching me (damn him) and admonishing me not to get sick. There's a line between when you should push yourself and when you should back off. I haven't yet figured out where that line is until I'm far past it. I managed not to vomit this time, but I did get the most bizarre cold chills about an hour afterwards. I curled up under all the blankets on my bed, and I think I fell asleep for a little bit. It seemed to turn into night awfully quickly. :)

I felt good after that, although my IT Bands were still really stiff. I tried to stretch them out as best I could, but I really needed a foam roller. I was feeling torn about my commitment to my no-spend goal and my commitment to take care of myself. I broke town this morning and placed the order for the foam roller and the Bodyglide (and some gummy bears for my long runs). I still feel a little twinge of failure, but this was something I needed and not an impulse buy. I need to think of this like dieting: it's unrealistic to think you're never going to do/eat/have something ever again, it's all about mindfulness and moderation.

So I'm taking today as my rest day, and I hope to be better about running regularly this week. Hopefully I have an awesome progress report for you all next week!

1 comment:

  1. Keep at it! It takes some time but it gets easier as time goes on!

    ReplyDelete