Monday, January 27, 2014

comparison is the thief of joy

source
I've become friendly with the wife of one of C's friends, and she and I were emailing back and forth today, making plans for Valentine's Day. During the course of our conversation, I made some mention of my running, and she was quick to get excited.

Apparently she is/was a runner (before she started having children, from what I can gather) and wants to get back into it. She asked if I would want to train together for a race this fall. I told her that I would love to, but that my idea of a fast mile is 14 minutes. Of course, being the google stalker that I am, I googled her to see some of her race times. Homegirl did the Chicago marathon in under 5 hours. HA.

These sorts of things tend to make me feel badly about myself. Like, why can't I run that fast? So here are some little mantras for me to remember what this is really all about.

source
source
 
source

1 comment:

  1. I get this way too when I make a runner friend who's faster than me, or even when I'm out busting my tail only to have someone zoom by me looking like they're out for a Sunday stroll. There are SO many factors that go into running speed, a lot of which we have no control over, that it's really unfair and counterproductive to compare ourselves to others.
    I like your first mantra...there is ALWAYS going to be faster than me, but really all that matters is that I'm faster/better/stronger than the old me!

    ReplyDelete