Thursday, March 27, 2014

well, *that* was interesting

So orientation was last night. During and after the meeting, this is how I felt (because everything in my life can be related to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory):


The short synopsis? C and I are no longer going to consider foster-to-adopt a viable option for us. We're going to get approved to adopt only children who have had parental rights terminated and are free for adoption.

The medium synopsis? In addition to the DCS lady running the orientation, there was a foster mother there available to tell us her experience and answer questions. Near the middle of the session, she mentioned that she had been fostering these 2 kids and was on the track to adopt them, when a family member came out of the woodwork and took them. After they had been with her for 2 1/2 years. TWO AND A HALF YEARS?! C and I haven't even been married for 2 1/2 years. I can't imagine having to give up a child who you have loved and given a home to for so long. No. Thanks. My hat goes off to those people who can do that sort of thing, but I am not that person.

So anyway, we sent an email back to the adoption lady last night and told her that we're hers now. Hopefully I can continue to move this process along at MY pace ;) In the meantime, I really need to figure out how to quiet my brain so I can get some damn sleep. I'm exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment